Urgent request for a Media Lab Technician for cutting edge technology
Our high profile broadcaster client based in West London requires a junior engineer with a strong understanding of new media tech and an outgoing personality to test and demonstrate equipment.
They need someone to help out on the demonstration floor in a retail like environment.
* Day-to-day management of a technical facility - sets up, maintains and runs equipment for tech demos, workshops and events
* Experience fault-finding in computer, electronic or broadcast systems
* Safe working including, risk assessment, PAT testing, electrical safety
* A passion for public service broadcasting and the media industry - a good understanding of new and emerging technologies including AI, IoT, XR, NGA, UHD etc
* Excellent people skills and a confident communicator - an outgoing team player with a sense of fun
* Reliable and good attention to detail.
Responsible for managing technical facilities and offering engineering and technical logistical support within research laboratories and other similar technical facilities.
·Providing technical assistance to staff in their project work
·Maintaining, keeping tidy and organising laboratories and other technical and storage areas.
·Assisting with the set-up and de-rigging of experiments, including small scale wiring and cabling of bays of equipment.
·Assist in the design and implementation of electronic and mechanical systems, including designing and constructing circuit boards
·Undertaking simple system design work (e.g. RF or video distribution to CE equipment)
·Installing equipment safely
·Assisting in the creation of risk assessments and good working practices for users of technical areas and any associated documentation.
·Maintaining electrical equipment for safe use including arranging calibration and servicing when required, including implementing a rolling programme of portable appliance testing and associated record keeping.
·Using and keeping up to date relevant asset systems to record and track all equipment.
·Managing the use of lab and technical facility structured cabling, and ensure that the database tracking its use is kept up-to-date.
·Purchasing non-IT technical items on behalf of project teams, and keeping stocks of technical consumables at agreed levels.
·Setting up and running technical facilities at short notice in support of specific events, such as cross-site presentations and short technical projects and demonstrations.
·Taking a proactive approach to continually improving the technical infrastructure
·Producing technical drawings as requested
Knowledge, skills, training and experience
The successful candidate will have previously worked as a laboratory technician in a science, engineering, broadcast or similar environment, with experience in areas including the following:
- Fault-finding in scientific, electronic, broadcast or other systems.
- Fabrication and repair of electronic equipment.
- Day-to-day management of a technical facility.
- Operational support of scientific or engineering research teams.
- Mechanical systems including awareness of thermal management issues
- Running the asset-tracking and/or PAT-testing programme for a technical facility.
·Creating risk assessments for hazardous activities.
- A good understanding of electrical safety. Soldering and wiring skills are essential.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- The ability to work proactively and be self-motivated when working in isolation as well as part of a larger team.
- Good IT knowledge, and experience of using email, word-processing and spreadsheet applications.
- Excellent communication and people skills with a desire to learn and share good practice.
- An ability to look for ways to continually improve the service provided to project teams and individuals
- A practical, methodical, and well-organised approach.
- A science qualification such as a Level 2 Certificate in Laboratory & Associated Technical Activities or equivalent Laboratory Technician qualification. GCSE’s in Maths, English and Science.
- A general knowledge of analogue and digital audio and video systems would be highly desirable.
Retail style engagement with media/IT technology at the heart.