Our client is a leading broadcast facility based in Amsterdam and they are looking for a Manager for their distrubition and engineering teams, you will be working in a facility which is around 18 months old, so the technology and systems you will be overseeing are state of the art.
The Manager Distribution & Engineering is responsible for overall management and organization of the Distribution and Engineering Support teams. This role is responsible for assigning (day-to-day) responsibilities, schedules the work and is responsible for adequate resource management and allocation. The person in this role is responsible for organizing training, maintaining the technical documentation and is required to have complete understanding of all technical systems and procedures.
- The Manager Distribution and Engineering is responsible for managing the Distribution and Engineering teams including:
- Co-ordinate tasks and schedule rosters for the Distribution and Engineering teams.
- Performance management for the team members: Setting goals, reviewing performance and coaching. Liaising with HR department for day-to-day matters concerning staff.
- Organize knowledge management within the team to preserve continuity of service.
- Lead and develop technical training ensuring all engineers their level of knowledge and competency is at an appropriate level. .
- Preserve documentation concerning the team’s responsibilities.
- Ensure that technical faults /issues are appropriately logged, analysed, investigated, steps are taken to resolve and processes put in place to prevent reoccurrence.
- Maintain relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ensure that Technology systems and processes across the business are installed, upgraded and proactively maintained efficiently and effectively, together with the relevant up to date documentation.
- Ensure that technical issues are efficiently followed up and that findings are clearly communicated to staff and internal and external clients when required.
- Ensure the teams meet their operational targets as set out in the SLA’s agreed with clients.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- Excellent management and leadership skills, geared at self-organizing teams of specialized technical staff members.
- Excellent communication skills in English (Dutch is an advantage) and problem solving skills
- Experienced with managing technically specialized engineers, working in shift patterns/rosters.
- Ability to work under pressure and keep calm in high pressure situations
- Manage Vendors/Supplier working relationships and Support Contracts to gain best value for the business.
- Ownership of the Engineering budget. Identify ways to reduce costs and improve efficiency.
- Experience of working in a service management culture with knowledge of methodologies such as ITIL.
- A Bachelor’s degree level of thinking and acting or a proven track record of working on this level.
- Excellent knowledge of playout automation systems (preferably Pebble Beach)
Strong knowledge of baseband HD / SD video, compressed video / audio encoding, IP transport stream distribution, OTT streaming and IP networking principles including multicasting. Demonstrate experience in designing and building technical systems across broadcast playout, distribution and IP, with excellent knowledge of compression technologies including MPEG-4, H.264, MPEG-2. Knowledge of media technology solutions and content delivery platforms.