Our client is a major supplier of digital television services, including HDTV, radio and on-demand channels and programmes to UK viewers.
This is an exciting opportunity working in a small, vibrant company based in an attractive Central London location.
Our client is a hybrid operator delivering services via both satellite broadcast and broadband internet. To support these services they have a range of third party and in-house developed systems running on a range of infrastructure, and also work with external service providers. This role is to oversee the 24/7 operations of these systems, working with external partners where necessary, to ensure that the viewers receive an uninterrupted and quality level of service.
Beyond day-to-day operations, the role will also be involved in the evolution of the systems to improve their efficiency and to support new services as they are developed and launched.
Main tasks and responsibilities
The main responsibility of this role is to oversee the day-to-day operations of our clients broadcast and IP backend systems and infrastructure. This includes carrying out change management processes required in the support of channel launches and developments, monitoring system health, routine maintenance tasks and rapid resolution of system faults and failures. This will include some level of out-of-hours tasks.
The role also forms part of the on-call duty rota for out-of-hours operational support across the client's operational systems.
Our client is constantly developing new services for its viewers, which require additional features and functionality via its SaaS product, Metaphor. The post holder is expected to be involved in the development and implementation of such new features and functionality from their conception through to their operation. This will require working closely with the technical architects and system integration team.
Skills and Expertise
- Proven experience working in a broadcast, OTT or VoD environment.
- Experience in operational support or management.
- Experience in operational support for SaaS desirable.
- Knowledge of digital satellite broadcasting technologies and associated specifications.
- Good understanding of digital satellite receiver technologies.
- Good understanding of the end to end broadcast chain including headend.
- Working knowledge of DSMCC data carousels are desirable.
- Experience using Jira and Confluence desirable.
- Strong knowledge of the digital TV industry and related technologies.
- Working knowledge of XML, XML processing and validation.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Good understanding of most of the following:
- Linux operating system (RedHat)
- Networking technologies
- System monitoring tools (e.g. Datadog, Runscope)
- Automated system configuration tools
- Knowledge of resilient system design with a high level of availability and security.
- Experience of managing 3rd party suppliers and outsourced arrangements
- Experience with cloud-based infrastructure (Google Compute, AWS) desirable.
Personal Skills and Attributes
- Self-starter with the ability to perform in a high-pressure live operations environment.
- Highly organised with an ability to look forward and anticipate issues before they impact workflows.
- Ability to keep calm under pressure and deliver to deadlines.
- Strong leadership skills, a real team player.
- Can demonstrate diplomacy and pragmatism when dealing with difficult challenges.
- Able to build strong networks and working relationships with clients and service providers.
- Understanding of managing and delivering through 3rd party supplier and outsourced arrangements.
- Strong problem analysis and resolution skills.
- Makes complexity simple for others to understand.
- Strong communication skills.
Critical Thinking – identifies and analyses a situation, suggesting viable and pragmatic solutions to resolve issues quickly and efficiently.
Communication – expresses self in a clear, succinct and compelling manner in both individual and group situations, builds constructive working relationships both internally and externally.
Planning & Organising – the ability to plan, organise and execute activities using own initiative and uses resources effectively and efficiently to balance multiple projects and responsibilities.
Our client is also looking for candidates that exemplify the company’s values of down to earth, daring and fun.